To be eligible for the CHR Below Market Rate Housing program you must meet specific income guidelines (see chart below). You must also meet one of two criteria:
- One adult within the household must be currently working full time on Sanibel.
- Senior citizens or disabled individuals who are not working must be year-round residents on Sanibel.
If you feel that you meet the income guidelines and eligibility criteria, please print and fill out the application provided here, or pick up an application at the CHR office at 2401 Library Way Sanibel. Each household member over the age of 18 is required to fill out a separate application. There is a $75 fee per household to pay for processing fees, including a background check and credit history report. Mail or bring the application to the CHR office with the $75 processing fee. Checks should be made out to CHR.
The application process takes 4-6 weeks and at times there is a waiting list. Please call or visit the CHR office if you need assistance with the application or have questions about the eligibility criteria and thank you for your interest in our program.
Application Requirements and Forms Required:
- You must submit a completed application for each adult (over 18) household member.
- You will be required to pay a $75.00 application fee at the time you turn in your application. This fee includes a credit report and background screening.
- If you are divorced, a copy of the divorce decree must accompany your application.
- If you receive child support or alimony, court documentation must accompany your application.
- Verification on income, including most recent tax return.
- If you are ordered by the court to receive support & are not receiving it, you must schedule a contempt of court hearing or contact the Department of Revenue’s Child Support Enforcement office. The contact phone is 800-622-5437.
- Copies of driver’s license & social security cards are required for all household members.
- Incomplete applications including lack of forms required will not be placed on waiting list.
|Household Size||Annual Entry Income Limits (11/26/16)|
|1 Person Household||$48,720|
|2 Person Household||$55,680|
|3 Person Household||$62,640|
|4 Person Household||$69,480|
|5 Person Household||$75,120|
CHR does not discriminate against any class of applicants. All persons may apply to CHR for affordable housing and are treated equally. The Fair Housing Act is the term commonly used to describe the provisions of Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. The Act states that it is unlawful to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex/gender, familial status, national origin, or handicap. In addition to what is covered under the federal act, Florida Statute ss.760.20-760.37 also prohibits discrimination on the basis of marital status, age, and creed.