Community Housing & Resources, Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization partnering with the City of Sanibel to provide affordable housing for families and individuals who:
- work full time on Sanibel or
- are retired or disabled longtime residents of Sanibel
CHR (Community Housing and Resources, Inc.) was formed in 1979 as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization to address the growing need for affordable housing in the Sanibel community. In 1983, an ordinance was passed by the City of Sanibel that established the Affordable Housing Program and CHR was designated as the city’s housing foundation.
Today, CHR owns 88 housing units at various locations on Sanibel, including 74 rental properties — one of which is a 12-unit complex just for senior residents — and 14 Limited Equity Ownership (LEO) homes through the Coast and Islands Community Land Trust.
A Key to Serving Our Community
- Sanibel’s economy depends on the hundreds of people who provide services through island retail and other businesses
- Living on the island removes the stress and high cost of a long daily commute
- Workers who live on the island can be available at short notice
- Social and economic diversity is a priority for Sanibel and a part of The Sanibel Plan
- We all benefit when our island work force lives in the community and participates in schools, churches and community events
- No one should have to leave a familiar community because of age, disability or lack of finances
- CHR is a hand up! It provides an affordable home for 150 island residents in eleven rental complexes and 14 limited-equity ownership homes throughout the island